31 Fun facts about Cats You Probably Did Not Know
We know so much about cats, but still a lot more is to be known about your pet. Here we have compiled a list of 31 fun facts about cats which you might not have known earlier, despite the fact that you might be the owner of at least one kitty.
According to a study there are more than 3 million households in the USA who owned a cat which itself seems a very big number while another study indicates that there are more than 10.8 million pet cats in the UK, with 26% of households owning at least one.
The way they walk, sweat or jump, we bet you must not have heard some of the fun facts about cats given below, so do check out the same.
Fun Facts About Cats
- If we talk about the running speed, an adult cat can run about 12 miles per hour, and can sprint at nearly thirty miles per hour.
- Unlike dogs who can produce ten vocal sounds, the cat can produce over hundred different vocal sounds.
- If we look at the paws, then the cats have four toes on each back paw and five toes on both front paws.
- Cats can be a high jumper as it can jump seven times its height.
- The memory wise cat has the best one as compared to dogs who have a memory of 5 minutes while a cat’s can remember things up to 16 hours, which is even higher than that of monkeys and orangutans, this calculation is based on the research done by University of Michigan.
- Cat’s don’t sweat as they do not have a sweat gland.
- This fact will definitely increase your knowledge, A pack of kittens is called a kindle, while a pack of adult cats is called a clowder.
- Coming to the front portion, the cat’s tongue is scratchy because it’s lined with papillae.
- The Papillae are the tiny elevated backwards hooks that help to hold prey in place.
- Dental cleaning is one of the important aspect when taking care of a cat’s health as they have 30 teeth’s when they grow up but as a kitten they have 26.
- Despite the fact that the cats can’t see up to a larger distance, but their peripheral vision and ability to see at night is far better compared to humans.
- The cats have whiskers at the back of the front legs as well as on their face.
- It is estimated that the oldest known pet cat existed around 9500 years ago, which is proven from the study done by a French based archeologist who found a grave of a cat in Cyprus dating back to 9,500 years ago.
- Each cat’s nose has ridges in a unique pattern
- As compared to humans who have 206 bones, the cat’s body is extremely flexible with 230 bones.
- What adds to the flexibility is that the pelvis and shoulders loosely attach to the spine. This helps them to slip to small spaces without much effort.
- The duration of pregnancy varies from 4-6 months.
- Sleeping time is also huge as the cat’s sleep for around 15 hours a day which concludes that in their entire lifespan they spend around 70% of its time sleeping.
- Anaheim a city outside Los Angeles, in Southern California, which houses a Disneyland resort, is a home for feral cats popularly known as stray cats that live outdoors roam freely around the park
- Such a large number of feral cats also keep the population of rodents in control.
- In Egypt’s history, individuals from a family would shave their eyebrows in grieving if their cat’s passed away.
- The love for cat’s was such that they were used to be sometimes mummified and placed by their owners in tombs.
- Blackie, the wealthiest cat of all time has a mention in the Guinness world records had a fortune of 7-MILLION UK POUND(S) STERLING when Ben Rea (UK) passed away in 1988 bequeathed his fortune to Blackie.
- To know the source of sound the cats can rotate the ears by 180 degrees and each ear consist of 32 muscles.
- Longest living cat in the history was Creme Puff who was owned by Jake Perry of Austin, Texas, US, lived for around 38 years and 3 days.
- A cat name Stubbs was the honorary mayor of Talkeetna, a town in Alaska, from July 18, 1997, until his death.
- The longest cat in the world was Stewie which measured around 123 centimeters, according to the Guinness Book of World Records.
- Camels and Giraffes are the two animals that walk like the cats.
- The inventor of Cat door is none other than the famous Isaac Newton,
- Félicett was the only cat to be launched successfully into space was a stray Parisian cat on 18 October 1963 as part of the French space program.
- Abraham Lincoln was an American lawyer and statesman who served as the 16th president of the United States from 1861 until his assassination in 1865 owned several cats and would play with them for hours.
If you have found our content interesting then do show some love by commenting in the box below, this will help us to research and provide more content for you all.
Disclaimer: This article may contain affiliate links to products. We may receive a small commission for purchases made through these links.