30 Facts About Chihuahuas You Would Love To Know
In this article we will cover 30 facts about Chihuahuas which are also known as a purse dog due to its small size, and it is loved by most Americans.
Chihuahua is a Mexican breed of dog named after the Mexican state of Chihuahua located in the northwest. It is the smallest among all breeds of dogs.
Originally recognized by the AKC in 1904, the rounded “apple” head is a breed hallmark. The erect ears and full, luminous eyes are highly expressive.
These dogs have the different variety of colors and coats, and they are charming due to their small size and big personality.
Chihuahua participates in different dog sports which require testing of both mental and physical agility and are rated among top 10 dogs by the experts.
Chihuahua’s love to stay with their owners and require little grooming and a lot less exercise compared to other breeds.
Facts About Chihuahuas
Here are 30 facts about Chihuahuas-
- They have a long life span of about 12 to 20 Years which in comparison to larger breeds is a lot more as they are smaller in size.
- They are very loyal and extremely lovable pets.
- Apart from being affectionate they love to play and are lively.
- Can be trained very easily for obedience.
- Don’t underestimate Chihuahuas as they can be one of the best guard dogs who are always ready to protect your home if somebody tries to sneak in.
- Because of their small size, Chihuahuas consume less food which is why they are quite affordable to feed.
- They need only 20 to 25 minutes of exercise everyday which can be achieved easily either indoors or outdoors.
- There are 7 types of Chihuahuas breeds and multiple Chihuahua breed mixes.
- Chihuahua gives birth to 3 puppies in a single litter while in some cases they give birth to only one.
- White is considered to be the rarest color of Chihuahua.
- Quick learner and highly intelligent.
- As they come from the warm state of Mexico so they feel uneasy in the cold temperatures.
- Chihuahua Club of America is the official AKC Parent Club, which was founded in 1923.
- As pups they have floppy ears, but as they grow, the ears become erect.
- Surprising, but true, that Chihuahua has never won a show in the 100-year history of at the Westminster Kennel Club Show.
- The Chihuahua is believed to be a direct descendant of the Techichi, a small desert canine that dates back to Mayan times.
- Marilyn Monroe owned Chihuahua named Josepha at the time she was signed to a movie contract by Columbia pictures in 1948.
- Nicknamed as “purse dog” due to their small size.
- They fully grow up in 9 months.
- They start gaining weight from 10 months onwards.
- Following colored Chihuahua can be found i.e. Black and Tan, Blue & Tan, Chocolate, Chocolate & Tan, Cream, Fawn, Fawn & White, and Red.
- They weigh around 2 to 6 pounds.
- An adult Chihuahuas diet is not more than 5 to 10 Oz a day.
- You should bathe your pet at least once a week.
- Oldest Chihuahua on record was Megabyte who passed away at 20 years of age on 1 January 2014.
- The 18-month-old Chihuahua, named LOL, gave birth to 11 puppies which is a record.
- A midget named Chihuahua became the first of his breed to be registered with the American Kennel Club in 1904.
- Reputed Breeders in USA sell Chihuahuas puppies ranging from $400 to $1500.
- Chihuahuas are one of the most popular breed registered with the American Kennel Club since 1960s.
- At present, they rank 11th out of the 155 breeds registered by the AKC.
Adopting Chihuahua can be the best decision you make. You can buy from the following sites–
Disclaimer: This article contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a small commission for purchases made through these links.